Birthdays are that time of the year, where we take a moment to look back and reflect on not only the last year of our life but the last few years. We think about the milestones we’ve reached, the setbacks we’ve had, the people and experiences we’ve gained, and also the people and experiences we’ve lost. We might have had expectations for where we want to be at certain ages. Maybe we achieved them and maybe we didn’t. When I was in high school, I told myself that I wanted to be married at 24. Wowww was I wrong lol. As I am now the very young age of 24, I look back at high school me and I’m like what was I thinking? I am in no way ready for marriage. Things change lol. Your wants change. Your needs change. I think I thought that 24 was an old age, but that’s okay when you’re only 16 years old. But from 16 to 24, I’ve seen so much growth in myself and these are a couple of things that I’ve learned along the way…
- Trust God – It’s the hardest thing to put into practice but the best lesson you could ever learn.
- Life is all about perspective – perspective literally changes everything.
- Have a go-to outfit – You’ll be happy for those mornings you wake up late for work and have to run out the door.
- Self-care, self-care, self-care – If you’re not practicing self-care, GET YOUR LIFE!
- A mental holiday is the best kind of holiday – Don’t be afraid to take one.
- Accept the unknown (still learning this one) – Sometimes things do not go as planned. You have to accept it and keep moving.
- Start investing in quality items – This is the time of our lives where we can be a little selfish and splurge on ourselves. My splurges lately have been on beauty items. Don’t get me wrong, I love drugstore products, but sometimes the $50 foundation is worth it 🙂
- If you’re constantly second guessing something, chances are you should go with your gut.
- Take off your makeup before you go to bed – your skin will thank you!
- If something/someone is making you unhappy, let it go. It’s not worth it – it REALLY isn’t worth it
- Where you are now, is only a season – We may feel stuck but it is just a season and seasons change.
- When it comes to love, be open to different possibilities – You never know who can completely rock your world if you limit your options.
- Take care of your body – Drink more water, exercise, the whole nine yards. I hate to exercise just as much as the next person and don’t get me started on water (I can literally go days without drinking water)! Buttttttttt ever since I started working out more regularly and drinking a ton of water, I’ve had so much more energy and I’m in the best shape of my life.
- Stick to who you are – Don’t change who you are for anyone. I’ve changed myself for someone before and you’re always in this state of not feeling comfortable. Don’t do it.
- Cook more often – it’ll save you money and it’s the best feeling when you cook something amazing for yourself. I feel so proud of myself whenever I make a really good meal 🙂
- Speak up for yourself – people kind of suck sometimes.
- Have as many girl’s nights as possible – There’s something about a girl’s nights that make everything better. Whether it’s just having a glass of wine and watching the bachelor or actually going out and dancing the night away, you always know you’re going to have a good time.
- Be open to different opportunities, experiences, and adventures – 24 is a young age! I’m learning to do things I never thought I would or never thought I would have the chance to do.
- Take it one day at a time – and sometimes it’s literally one hour at a time.
- Learn to celebrate your mistakes – My friend Carley and I were just talking about this the other day. We are going to mess up (sometimes really badly) but beating yourself up about something that is already done makes no sense. So take it as a learning experience, figure out a solution and move on!
- Have a clean space – Your spaces reflect your current state of mind, make sure they are clean! If my apartment and my desk at work are a mess, usually I’m having a pretty hectic week.
- Don’t be scared to address things that are bothering you – addressing conflict is not the easiest thing to do but you feel so much better after getting it off of your chest.
- Embrace vulnerability – You may feel like Mr. Crabs from Spongebob when he lost his shell 😂but it’s a necessary part of life.
- TREAT YO SELF!
So basically 24 is all about living my best life lol! Over the past few years, I’ve let so many things bother and affect me. 24 is the year that it’s all about me. I’m refocusing on the things that are important to me, living my life unbothered, and enjoying every minute. I will forever think that your 20s are probably the most difficult and exciting decade of your life. You graduate college, you get your first job in your career, you move up the ladder, people get married and start families. We’re making memories, traveling, exploring, and figuring out what we want in life. So don’t think of your mistakes or where you’re not, but what you’ve learned.
Photo by David